Sunday, March 11, 2012

Let's travel back to feudal Medieval Europe!

Students participated in a simulation pretending to be roles in feudal Medieval Europe: king/queen, lords/ladies, knights, peasants, and serfs.  After randomly picking their role from a bag, students wrote about their jobs on a message board on ThinkQuest.org.  Then, acting out their roles (some even with costumes!), students used M&M's as their "wheat" crop to pay their lords--peasants/serfs to their knights, knights to their lords, and lords to their king/queen.  Students experienced the joys and frustrations of payment and reflected on the justice of such a process using the following questions.  How do I feel being this role in society?  How do I feel about other roles in society?  Is my role fair or unfair and why or why not?  Check out the process below:










Introduce your role in medieval society...
  • Summer KSummer K
    Serf (farmer bound to land)
    Uhh, I am so exhausted. My bones feel like they are going to painfully shatter into sharp splinters that will pierce my aching muscles from the inside out. All this labor is killing me, working from dawn to dusk, and barely having anything to eat except for a few table scraps that my intolerant landlords lazily throw to me. They don’t even care if the scraps collide against the filthy, feces polluted floor because they are selfish, ignorant landlords who don’t care about anything, but themselves. I have to rake, water, and harvest all day long under the scorching sun that bakes and cracks my skin while my landlords sit in the shade drinking wine and laughing at our painful mistakes. My clothes are just pitiful cow rags that scratch my skin raw, reek of my body odor, and covered in who knows what might be hanging around on the farm. My home is infested with the filthy animals that I must tend to for my infuriating landlords. There are feces littered all over the floor, and a thick layer ash covers everything in sight because of my burning fire that warms up my food and home. I absolutely despise my life. Why do I have to be born into this excruciating life? I must leave this horrific place, but how…
    Mar. 07, 2012

  • Bree MBree M
    Peasant (farmer with rights)
    Salutations, my name is Carolina and my occupation is Peasantry. I work on the crops outdoors 24/7. It gets old sometimes and boring. I grow tired of it. Get it? Grow, old? Nobody really does laugh at my jokes anymore because they all relate to my job. I live in a little cottage with my husband and two children. Harold is my husband; Patricia and Beatrice are my kids. I love them dearly and I never get to spend time with them. Tragic really. Well enough small talk, I must get back to work. Goodbye.
    Mar. 07, 2012

  • Madison WMadison W
    Knight (vassal)
    Hello, my name is Madame Maddie and I am a knight in my manor. I follow the code of chivalry. I live in the manor of Lady Ira. I was knighted at the age of twenty-one. I was sort of born into it because my mother and father both were knights and that is actually how they met. I have the right to get married and I own property. I protect the town. All day I go around the town making sure that everyone is safe.
How do you feel about your role in society?  (After payments to lords...)
  • Bree MBree M
    Peasant (farmer with rights)
    I oppose to this “Fairness” they call. If anything it’s the opposite. The peasants (me) did all the hard work, providing all the food for the Kingdom. We ended up with the least amount of fairness while the Kings and Queens were granted the most. They did absolutely nothing but hire these snobby Knights to evict our rights from us. It’s not right! If we do all the hard, time-consuming, energy-taking work, then why did we not get a reward or a fair trait? I want to know how this madness happened!? I do not agree with this policy at all! The Serf does absolutely nothing but they still get a reward that ends up a larger amount then ours. The Knights receive a decent amount that is a little crazy to me. They seem like they only hire and take from the Kingdom. The Lords/Ladies just stand next to the queen and King, trying to look nice. The King and Queen only tell the Knights and Lords/Ladies what to do. I think this isn’t tolerable and should be fixed as soon as possible!
    Mar. 07, 2012

  • Alyssa RAlyssa R
    Serf (farmer bound to land)
    Hello, it’s Serf Michelle again. I feel it is unfair at times when I work so hard every day and then come back to my small home, and get most of my crops taken away from me. I do, on the other hand, like being able to always come back to a home and being able to always know I am safe.
    Mar. 07, 2012
  • Rachel ARachel A
    King/Queen
    I was happy to be a queen! I did get to get paid from each noble, but I did feel bad to have the nobles give me their payment from their reactions. I actually did have a feeling I was going to get the queens role, but I wasn't too sure. Getting to see how some serfs and peasants did hard work every day then having to give away their hard work away to the knights then so on made me feel like the quote "Hard work has its own reward" gives me second thoughts...since the peasants and serfs did end up with the least amount of money.
    Mar. 07, 2012
How do you feel about OTHER roles in medieval society?
  • Ricardo SRicardo S
    Lord/Lady (nobility)
    I am really grateful as a lord but I am kind of jealous of the queen because she gets a lot of money from us the lords. I also feel that I deserve to be a king because of all my hard work and I think that I would be a really good king. I feel really sad for serfs because they have to live a whole year without much food they have like a quarter of what me the lord have and I think that is not that fair because they work 5 times more than what I do.
    Mar. 07, 2012

  • Hector GHector G
    Knight (vassal)
    As I knight I think I know where I should who I should be grateful to. I feel bad how the peasants and serfs work so hard for their crops. Then we just came in and take so much of it. I do see the reason behind it though I am in a risk line of work. As for the lord I am not envious of him. We share about the same life style I am just at more risk. I am envious of our queen though her life is so easy. Then see get the most crops from the peasant it is just unfair for them.
    Mar. 07, 2012
Do you think your role was fair?  Explain why or why not.
  • Summer KSummer K
    No, my role was NOT fair.
    My role is absolutely not fair because we, the serfs, have to work our little butts off, so that our ridiculous landlords get rich, and we get somewhat nothing in return. We work every day from morning to night hoping to earn a living when all of our hopes painfully crash back down on our heads when the king’s knights come collect all of our hard work, and leave us with nothing left to spare. I can’t even buy a head of lettuce with what I get left with. We don’t get served our justice, just how we don’t get served any food.
    Mar. 08, 2012
  • Ricardo SRicardo S
    Yes, my role was fair.
    I think that my role is kind of fair for me but not to the serfs, peasant’s, and the knights because I take money away from them and just leave them with a little bit of food left. I think that the unfair part of my part is that I have to pay the queen 60 pounds of meat and food for the whole year. I also like the part when I tell everyone what to do and they have to obey me unless they want to get fired and die of hunger. I also think my job is fair because the peasant’s and serfs plant our food plus they also pay me what a life I have.
    Mar. 07, 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment